Sunday, May 2, 2010

Just like Mom and Grandma

So this week I had one of those moments that all mothers dread. I was waiting at the corner for Brighton's bus as usual. I watched all the kids get off as usual. I waited expectantly, no Brighton. The door shut, no Brighton. The bus started going, no Brighton. I rushed over to the moving bus, rapped on the door till it opened, marched up the stairs and shouted BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON, BRIGHTON! My mind was racing, call the police or the school first?

Suddenly, up poked a sheepish head. She had been so immersed in her book she had missed her stop. Her friends finally pointed out there was some lady at the front yelling. Poor Newman, the bus driver, was pretty sure I was insane jumping on his moving bus screaming but I was so relieved I didn't care.

I can't fault her too much though. She gets that from me and I got it from my Mom. A good book just transports you to another world and it's easy to forget about real life. I did let her know though that my nerves couldn't take it and she'd need to pay attention to her bus stop from now on. So far so good:)

6 comments:

kim said...

I hate moments like that, shear panic, hearts in your throat. I am so sorry you had have such a great scare, but happy to hear it was for a good book :) I love to get carried away to another place and time and can only hope to pass that along to my girls too.

Susan said...

I totally would have freaked out too! But glad that Brighton loves books! :)

Mikelle said...

I am glad she was just reading!! That is always scary!

Kent and Kate said...

Oh that would scare me! I am glad that book worm was okay.

Alli said...

Good for you for stopping the bus! All that running is paying off :)

Great story.

kassie said...

Hello busdriver!!! No Christmas cookies for you!