Saturday, September 26, 2009

Reaching a new (potentially unhealthy) level of thrifting


A few weeks ago, we needed to get the kids out of the house. We took them to the place we enjoy going to most: Goodwill. There is no better way to spend a Friday night with the family.


However, this Friday night led to a level of Goodwill insanity never before experienced in our home.


Tessa ran into the store, while I waited in van with the kids. She came out of the store, and told me I had to go check out a leather couch and love seat.


I had been looking for a nice leather love seat on which to photograph families and couples. I entered the store and hummed and hawed. The couches looked great and were on sale for $130. It is hard to justify $130 for couches when our current seating arrangement was standing up fine to the abuse of the kids.


But maybe if we could get the couches for $65 that would be easier to handle?


The next day was the dreaded half-off Saturday. Half-off day is a stinker; all the good stuff immediately disappears from the shelves.


We inquired with one of the employees about half-off day. She said that people start lining up at 7:30 for the 9:00 AM opening. She also indicated that the line usually extends past the front of the store and around the side.


How bad did I want these couches? My plan:


I would drive over to Goodwill on Saturday morning. If there were five or more people in line, I wouldn't bother. I assumed that one of the first five were after the couches. If I could be one of the first five in line, I would take my chances. If I could wake up in time, I would do it. Tessa thought I was crazy.


All night I dreamed about the couches and standing in line at Goodwill.


I woke up, and drove over. I arrived at 7:15 AM. It was just me, and a Goodwill employee chatting until 7:30 when the next person arrived. Between 7:30 and 8:00 about 10 more people arrived. But at 8:00 it really started to pick up. By 9:00 the line snaked around the converted supermarket.




I was the first shopper in the store. I didn't want to look lame and run to the couches. However, when people started jogging past me, all bets were off. I ran to the couches, and staked my claim.


Within, the next 30 - 120 seconds others arrived looking for the couches. They were already mine. As the Goodwill employees carted them out, I held my hand on the couches to help steady the precious cargo. People oohed and awed as we rolled by. This was me at my Goodwill best! Or worst?



Edited by Tessa to add. They are very nice sofas and it was a great find but there was a bit of sweat equity that went into these babies. We've conditioned and cleaned and worked at them and are on the last of our second bottle of leather cleaner. I liked them better than the cream sectional we had though. Hopefully, these will stand up to the "love" of our children a little better.

10 comments:

Peck Family said...

i love them. best purchase EVER

Kent Kate & Afton said...

please! you are not crazy. They look great! nice work.

Alli said...

Fantastic work Steve! I bow down to you and your Goodwill expertise! Those couches are beautiful.

P.S. I'm figuring out when I can drive to California to pick up some free couches from my aunt :) Free is free, baby.

Terri said...

I love it Steve and I am going to come see those beautiful couches in real life!! (What happened to the old ones?) You guys know how to get the GREATEST DEALS!

Trevlyn said...

Wow! From one thrifter to another...CONGRATULATIONS! What a SCORE!

Arnon said...

Beautiful! The couches will look fabulous in your already fabulous photos!!

tessa said...

He is a nut but me and my living room are very pleased that woke up to get them. Mom, we gave the old sofa to another family in the ward who slip covered it and it's enjoying a new look and home.

Tom and Jane Schell said...

Tessa, I miss your thrifting! I had no idea Steve was so in on it too. Wow, I'm impressed!

tessa said...

Jane,
I think he figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em and he finds all sorts of great camera gear and electronics.

Mikelle said...

that is amazing!! I never have that kind of luck at DI!!